We are delighted to announce that Xavier Sáez from our Fusion Group has been selected as a High Level Support Team (HLST) member by the General Assembly of EUROfusion after a call for candidates that was issued in March. This news reinforces the link between Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC) and EUROfusion in the fusion research as an energy source.
Within the Work Package Infrastructure Support Activities (ISA), the High Level Support Team (HLST) provides support to scientists performing massively parallel computational work for the European fusion programme.
The HLST members are HPC experts with a background in developing large scientific applications and particular expertise in numerical algorithms. Its mission consists of the following tasks:
- Parallelise codes using, e.g. Open MP and/or MPI standards for massively parallel computers;
- Improve the performance of existing parallel codes both at the single node and inter-node levels;
- Support the transfer of codes to new multiprocessor architectures;
- Identify and, if necessary, adapt algorithms and/or mathematical library routines to improve applications for the targeted computer architectures;
- Provide feedback to the community based on experience gained from specific project works;
- Guide young scientists on available training activities in HPC and towards upcoming new computer architectures;
- Provide consultancy to scientists within the Research Units working on HPC.
In order to fulfill its mission, the HLST is currently composed of a core team of six full-time staff based at IPP Garching (Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik) complemented by two part-time staff and one full-time staff distributed amongst other Research Units.
Xavier is a member of HLTS as part-time staff since 2014, and with this appointment, he renews his position until 2023.